AApple has tweaked its Apple Pay service in an effort to reduce queues at London Tube-station barriers.
The Express Transit feature means commuters will experience shorter payment times when they tap in to the Tube using their iPhone or Apple Watch.
It works by doing away with the need to authenticate payments via face recognition or a fingerprint scan.
The move brings Apple Pay into line with Android Pay, which already allows commuters to simply tap in and out.
The Express Transit feature will work on iPhone SE, 6S and later models as well as the Apple Watch.
By designating a specific bank card to be their travel payment card, owners of these devices won`t need to authenticate transactions as they enter and exit the Tube system any more.
Instead of a bank card, users can also designate their Citymapper Pass - a virtual travel card available on a subscription, starting at £30 per week.
"With more people using their iPhones to pay for their travel around London, it`s become increasingly noticeable that transactions are marginally slower when you use an Apple device," said Ben Wood, an analyst at CCS Insight.
"Queues can quickly form at peak times when a few seconds are lost here and there."
He praised the move but said Apple faced a challenge in educating commuters on how to set up the service.
Apple Pay users can activate their travel card by assigning an "Express Travel Card" in the Wallet & Apple Pay section of iOS settings.
- iPhone 12 rumors and leaks: 4 things we expect from Apple in 2020
- Impossible Burger`s biggest eaters aren`t the people you think
- Google boss Sundar Pichai calls for AI regulation
- Vietnamese firm Viettel`s 5G claim raises eyebrows outside
- BEST OF THE WEEK: All The Way Up, This is Happening
- 5 REINCARNATED CHILDREN Who Remember Their Past Lives
- Astronaut Shares Heartbreaking Photos of The Australian Bushfire Smoke
- Apple may have to abandon Lightning connector cable
- We’re blowing it with self-driving car safety reporting, Cruise says
- Why Navy SEALs Hate the FN SCAR 17 - Vigilance Elite